Sunday, May 10, 2009

I miss my Mother especially today, Mothers Day. So much could be said, yet so little is. I wrote this poem for Moms everywhere.
Moms
Dads are great, they teach their boys how to be tough,
How to make a good deal, look a man in the eye with nerves of steel.
The power of a handshake and the deal that it seals,
he teaches you to go to the top of the monkey bars to reach for the stars,
about chances and danger and girls and fast cars.
Dads do this with the greatest of ease, its in there DNA it’s what I believe.
But mom she’s the one, the one I want to please.
She will kiss you and hold if you skin your knees.
She’s there when you’re sad, happy if you’re glad,
loves you even if you’re bad.
Mom teaches you patience, to be gracious, about kindness and care,
She will lick her hand after a sigh of despair, plaster them down, each wild hair.
She’s got candy and gum and things that are fun,
pencils and puzzles, and at times, wishes for a muzzle.
It’s all there in a big, old purse, more luggage than bag,
it’s too heavy to carry, it needs to be dragged.
She will go without, always putting you first,
she needs new shoes but she thinks you need them worse.
It’s the kind of love the Bible speaks of, Agape’s the word,
it’s love without ending, not even deserved.
She loves you like God does, that’s the way it should be,
That’s where she got it and she gave it to me.

Thanks Moms! I love you, Mathew Gunter

2 comments:

  1. Matt, That's awesome! Now I know why I love you.
    Your mother-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the poem! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete