Monday, May 18, 2009

Garden Report

Hello all, there was a heavy frost this morning. I sure am glad I didn’t manage to get my summer crops out yet! Can you imagine trying to cover over ¼ acre of plants in plastic or bed sheets? Wow. I did see some gardens on the way home from work this morning that were not covered and I am sure they will not fare well. I have been complaining about all the rain but it did keep me from planting, so I will count it as a blessing from God.  

What garden we do have planted is doing well. The Mizuna looks good and also the lettuce mix is doing pretty well. The collard greens look great but I may have to put a row cover on them to stop any chewing that may have started from the bugs that haven’t good manners. The potato plants are starting to peek out from the soil. I have a whole bunch of garlic plants that I bought from a plant sale on Saturday and do hope to get them in today. I know, I know garlic is supposed to be planted in the fall but I thought I would give it a go since there is a lot of growth on them already this spring and they were only a couple of bucks.

The quail cages and racks are nearly complete so we will be ready for quail babies after they hatch. Things seem to be going fine in the incubators. Hoping the new fence comes soon—I’ve ordered it through an online company. The chicks are getting too big for their brooders and they are starting to fuss about it. Plus we are tired of cleaning them. I sure hope we can get to raise a couple of pigs this year but time is becoming of the essence.

In the meantime, here’s a lovely recipe I want to share with you. It’s a glaze I use on salmon filets, and we all love it in the Gunter house. You might like it, too!

Ginger glaze for Salmon:
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger root.
Mix all 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Brush salmon with said ingredients. Let stand in the fridge for about an hour, it can be less if you’re pressed for time. Grill or broil about four minutes a side. Please, please, don’t over-cook your Salmon! Enjoy!  

Check back often , Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment