Friday, August 7, 2009

From Itchin' to Kitchen


Back to the Briar Patch

Mom only raised one fool in my family, so on this trip into hells fury I outfitted myself with armor suited for an encounter with such a capable adversary like this herbaceous hydra—the blackberry patch. I looked like I was ready for Thunder Dome and had the confidence to go with it. Today I would match wits with my multi headed nemesis, the blackberries!

Oh, in my mind I would ride up to the field of battle on a steed of great strength, about 19 hands tall. He would be the color of the sun, with muscles bulging beneath his sinewy skin and nostrils flared out like the ram air hood scoop on a 1972 Ford Gran Torino, and his feet as big as platters. He’s a mount fitting of the noblest of gentry.

I would announce to all in the field, “surrender, your fate has already been cast, nothing but doom for all who resist.” As the trumpets cried their last note, I would take the bounty of the land. Ballads would be sung and legends of the battle would be passed on for generations.

All of this would have to wait, of course, until I had a nap. It was nearly noon after all.

Truth be told, I was goaded into the horrible picking process again by my delicate flower, my wife Sherry. Oh, there was no malice on her part. She just mentioned she was going to pick berries and she did. I was taken without a shot being fired; guilt is my kryptonite when it comes to her. I would never want her to think I didn’t support her, so I soon found myself head high in the bramble patch.

She and I did capture a sizeable amount of berries, seven pounds to be exact. They shall be enjoyed throughout the winter in some form of jam, cobbler or pie.

This Week’s Garden News


In this week’s CSA harvest bag was a curious little item called a Mexican sour gherkin, also known as a cucumber. I snapped a picture of them so you could see what these cucumbers look like. These little cuties taste a bit sour with a hint of lemon. They are no bigger than an elongated grape and have the very appealing look of a teeny tiny striped watermelon. I’m sure they would be great pickled but I like to just pop them straight into my mouth.

Sherry also included, as a gift for our members, a beautiful bouquet of fresh cut flowers from her flower garden in this week's harvest bags. The flowers are not a normal part of the weekly share, just a gift from us to them. We sure appreciate their support.

Favorite Kitchen Things

I also want to share with you three of my favorite kitchen things. These are things that I have found to work as advertised. There is so much cheap stuff being made today and being hocked by such skilled pitchman that it isn’t always easy to get the real scoop on something that really works and works well.

So here are three of my favorite kitchen items in no particular order:

Number 1-- My 20+ year old, fire engine red, KitchenAid, orbital, stand mixer. No, not because it’s fire engine red, although that is way cool. It’s because it works, and has worked without fail for 20 some years. It will mix cookie dough like a regular mixer handles eggs. It’s like an Atlas Ready Mix cement truck, mixing a four bag mix. It’ll get it done. So, you’re gonna need one of those. And don’t go for any that are smaller than 300 watts.

Number 2-- A Forschner, Fibrox 10 inch chef’s knife made by the Victorinox Company, Model Number 40521. The Victorinox folks make the Swiss army knife. You can pay a lot more for a knife but you will be hard pressed to find a better one. Cooks Illustrated magazine consistently rates it a best buy. It still sells for a bit less than 30 bucks. Oh, don’t give me that, “you spend more than that at the movie, and that’s just for snacks!” Buy it--you’ll like it. Besides, it will last you a lifetime and wouldn’t you like cut yourself with a good knife for once?

Number 3-- is a cookbook, “50 Chowders, One Pot Meals-Clam, Corn and Beyond.” The author is the famous chef, Jasper White. I know it’s kind of a one trick pony with chowder, the specialty, but what a great collection of make-you-want-to-hug-yourself-it-feels-so-good comfort food. Man, if you don’t like a nice thick chowder on a cold gray winter’s day, your bobber don’t go all the way down. The New England clam chowder with its inclusion of cumin powder is to die for, in my opinion.

Along with great recipes in the first 57 pages, Jasper White teaches you chowder history, about broths and ingredients, and it’s packed full of chef’s notes and tips that help you understand the process. You will be a better all-around cook for it.

Have you ever heard of pilot crackers? Me either. I found some once after Jasper mentioned them in this cookbook. They are really fun! They’re a big, thick cracker about the length and width of a football field. Just kidding, they’re really about the size of Graham cracker except real thick.

I have cooked many of the soups and haven’t found a stinker among them. If I could afford to buy a gift for all of my family and friends, this book would be one of those things, and I would be grinin’ like a Cheshire cat knowing how good it is and how much love will be given and taken from it.

Well I’m done talk’n, --Matt

1 comment:

  1. Loved the Mexican Sour Gherkins, which was a surprise as I really don't like gherkins! Putting it on my mouth at the Farmers' Market I was expecting to cringe, but was delighted to find it was slightly sweet and - to my palate at least - slightly reminiscent of a gooseberry that has about a week to go before being fully ripe (possibly because of the texture). I agree they are slightly lemony.
    In any event, we bought a bunch and have been merrily throwing them in our mouths since getting home. It's great to discover new and surprising foods at the market and to think of how to use them, so thanks again for being there and providing us with all these goodies!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete